Labels

Friday, June 2, 2017

Let's stop with being right.

Sometimes, you just know that your opinion is completely in line with the facts. Sometimes, all evidence point out to your beliefs. Sometimes, the people you talking with are talking nonsense. Sometimes, they even willingly take stupidness mantle and wear it, proudly.

Naturally, we argue. We raise our voice, we go to overdrive to deliver our points. They retort and push you back. And you go even further. 

It feels good to be right. Even the most timid and shy of man get some degree happiness from being right about his opinion, value, or beliefs. It is almost addicting to win an argument , isnt it?
But what cost do we pay to feel good really?

Truth, while should be universal can be intepreted differently.  There isnt any fallacy in that truth. The fallacy is in us. We are too young, too limited to understand the whole concept of truth. We just know what we beliefs. And who to say that all of us were not right?

I remember few years back, the internet went mental with the black-blue dress / white-gold dress photo. You know, the photo of dress that the colour is different for whoever see it. For the first few days it is unacceptable for us to have people that have different saying about the colour of the dress. It wasnt make sense for me too , initially. The colour of the dres should be simple fact that cause no dissent in opinion. But science explain, that our limitation in intepreting visual fact and point of view are valid reason we have different opinion.

the said dress


If such simple picture can deceive us, then what are more complex things capable of? We dont argue about the dress that much and accept that while we have difference, we all are right. So why does it matter so much for us to argue about our beliefs? I mean, if we believe in God , omniscience and omnipresence, sit in his arasy, his throne somewhere, does it matter that much where He is sitting at?
Just like the dress, it is not that God mislead us intentionally by giving each one of us different beliefs. It is just us, who too limited to understand after all.

Then again, just like i convinced my friend that i see white-gold dress. I want them to accept that as fact too. But if they wont, i know their beliefs is not wrong either. Because my beliefs tell me that being mean, even it is about my truth, my fact, my value, and my beliefs are not allowed.

I was told to be nice. I was told to treat other with kindness whatever they beliefs are. I was told to speak good or speak nothing. I was told to love, not to hurt others. And doing contrary, that by fighting about same piece of truth would only let my beliefs and my God down.

Because in the end, the truth is not going anywhere. Beliefs are personal. No matter how many people accept, it will always be the truth. No matter how many people see the dress the same colour as me, it will always be white gold to me. But being right is not as important anymore. And then the timid and shy self of me stop caring about winning argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment